Thursday, January 27, 2011

Do It Now

Sometimes, we are given a vision.

In lingers in our hearts, it whispers in our thoughts, and it tugs at our consciences.  It may a world changing idea, or a personal dream, like climbing Mount Everest or publishing a poem.

Whatever it is, don't ever brush it aside as being ridiculous, selfish, or unachievable.

Narrow down your vision.  Find people that share the same interests, or who have already accomplished your dream, and mimic them (the sincerest form of flattery).

Then, act.  Don't wait to have everything perfect, don't wait for approval or understanding from others.  Just do it.

For example, when Paul and I dreamed of Lost World Imports, we only knew that we wanted to travel, wanted a fulfilling career, and wanted to help end poverty in third world countries.  Literally, the first day we talked about it, we booked a ticket to India.

Because of that ticket - and the fact that it was non-refundable - we made contacts with people in Northern India.  I joined a dozen fair trade and export groups on LinkedIn and sent email after email after email, because I knew we would need inventory quickly.  I contacted a CBS reporter and an Atlanta Magazine columnist to show up at our gala, because I knew we would need media coverage to bring exposure to our brand.  I signed up for a business mentor through my school, because if you don't know about something, learn from someone who does.

I am extremely passionate/obsessive about this venture.  (I work until around 1 am, so, yes, obsessive.)  I believe it will change the world.  I have no fear of rejection because I know in my heart it will work.

Although this may not be as motivating to consider, it is just as important to know:  you'll probably fail 50% of the time.  That's just part of the process.  You'll receive negative feedback, and sometimes your plans just won't work. That's where flexibility comes in.  If the door closes, go in through the window!  Or knock on the back door and see if somebody else answers. ;)  I wrote a 5000 word report recently (for the woman I write for that combats human trafficking).  She took about 1000 of the words and had to re-write the majority of the report herself because it wasn't exactly what she was looking for.  I probably put in 40 hours writing that report, but instead of being crushed - like I would have been in the past - I have asked her to recommend some books I could read to help me become more knowledgeable in the area she needs.  The hard part is continuing the momentum and not giving up.

Someone else told me that my business strategy was too much work with not enough payout.  Obviously I ignored him.

What do you dream of?  Who can you contact that will help you achieve your dream?  What can you do today that will make it impossible to turn back?  What will be your non-refundable ticket?

No comments:

Post a Comment